Hampton Bays Man Struck, Killed on LIE

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 27-year-old Hampton Bays man was fatally hit by a vehicle while standing on the side of the Long Island Expressway in Hauppauge early Sunday morning.Suffolk County police said Jonathan Nieto-Carrillo exited a Nissan that was pulled over to the shoulder of the eastbound side of Route 495 when he was struck by a Mazda at 4:45 a.m.The victim was taken to Stony Brook University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. The other driver was not hurt.Fourth Squad detectives impounded the vehicles, are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information on the crash to call them at 631-854-8452.last_img read more

Osaze to become professional golfer

first_imgRelatedPosts No directive to constitute disciplinary committee against us — Ojudu, others ‘Army Officer’ in EFCC net for alleged multiple fraud COVID-19: NCAA to revoke erring airlines licence over non-compliance Former Premier League striker Osaze Odemwingie is set to become a professional golfer. The Nigerian, aged 38, is currently going through his PGA training course and hopes to qualify for the EuroPro Tour via Q-School in the next year. Odemwingie, a 3 handicapper, passed his playing test, where you must shoot 15-over or better over 36 holes at The Belfry. The former Nigerian international made it with the final putt, which he compared to scoring a last-minute free kick. “I made it with the last putt so it’s as good as scoring a last-minute free kick taking 3 points home,” he told Sky Sports. “I’m ready to make some noise as a player as well I think. “So within the next one year I have a plan to do the qualifying school on the EuroPro Tour. “I think it’s achievable, I’ve improved as a golfer as well so I think there is a player in me. “Last year it was 8 [his handicap], worked on the short game a lot. It became 3.” Whilst it’s probably unrealistic that he does begin competing on the EuroPro Tour, the former striker hopes that at “minimum” he is able to help coach players from Nigeria and Russia, where his roots lie. “Raise a few good golfers, create opportunities for golfers from the countries I came from and one day hopefully they will be saying ‘yeah he got me into the game and now I’m a tour player’,” he said. “So that’s the minimum I want from the game. “I’ll try as a player but it’s more likely looking like from the coaching aspect of it.”last_img read more

Agyapong wins 60m race in 2015 world leading time

first_imgAfrican 4x100m bronze medalist Flings Owusu-Agyapong ran the fastest 60m time in the world at the Gotham Cup in New York last Friday, 16th January. Her performance also equaled Vida Anim’s national record for the distance.Flings, 26, opened her season in grand style crossing the finish line in a sizzling personal best of 7.18 ahead of Ashley Kelly 7.55(SB) and Karene King 7.59 (SB). Despite the heavy activity of the weekend, Flings’ mark remains the second fastest time in the world in 2015.Her time is only bettered by American sprinter Jasmine Todd who clocked 7.15 secs, a day after Flings’ performance.Flings said it is a dream come true to have equaled the national record.“It feels great to have equaled that record,” she said adding that, “I’ve been eyeing that for a long time so to be able to do that is an amazing thing for me. Vida is an amazing sprinter and really fast so it makes me feel like I’m on the right track to running what I feel I’m capable of.”Flings’ performance follows a very impressive season in 2014 where Team Ghana equaled its highest medal haul of six medals at the African Athletics Championships in Marrakech, Morocco.As well as an African Championship 4x100m relay silver and bronze medals in 2012 and 2010 respectively, the New York-based athlete competed at the 2014 World Indoor Championship and the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.She credited her coaches and the Ghana Athletics Association for her impressive performance.“Last season didn’t go the way I wanted it to, so after the last meet I spoke with Prof Dodoo. As a former world class athlete, I knew there was a lot of valuable information I could gain from him. Some of the areas we touched on included areas of my race that needed improvement, injury reduction and we also spoke about my training and things they felt I could be doing more of, and doing better. This included running longer distances in practice to improve my speed endurance for the end of the race.” “When I got home, I sat down with my coach Dave Hegland and his assistant coach Frank Rizzo and we talked about the season, specific races and overall how the summer went for me. We then spoke about the different things I had learned this summer, both from myself and the leaders I worked with this summer. “There are a lot of little things that people don’t realize can affect the way I train and compete, but I have an amazing team of coaches as well as a very supportive National Association (GAA) to lean on. I’m looking forward to a great season!She will be looking forward to meeting the Ghana Athletics Association’s selection criteria for the 2015 All Africa Games and the World Championships in Beijing when the outdoor season begins.Meanwhile, her compatriot Janet Amponsah is also ranked 3rd in the world, this time in the 55m after running a personal best 6.95s. The Texas based scholar is ranked behind Cierra White of the USA who has run 6.85 and 6.91 this season.last_img read more

Beach soccer dazzles at Hogbetsotso festival

first_imgThe biggest crowd witnessed for a beach soccer game in Ghana was recorded over the weekend when 6 beach soccer clubs converged at the Aborigines Beach Resort in Keta for the second edition of the Hogbetsotso Beach Soccer Classic.As happened with the maiden edition in 2014, beach soccer clubs converged at the venue to display their craft and skills to festive makers, locals, tourists and dignitaries alike.The event was broadcast live on one of the top radio stations in the Volta region Jubilee 106.9 fm.The standard of this year’s event was higher than last year’s edition. The protocol officer of the Ghana Beach Soccer Association Kusi Awere Gyamfi said this will be the template for spreading beach soccer throughout Ghana.Sea Lions Bsc and Teshie United Bsc from Accra joined hosts Keta Sunset Sports, Havedzi Mighty Warriors, Tegbi Youth and Ada Assurance in this year’s invitational tournament. The build up to the event was made even more exciting due to the fact that the best teams in the league were all in top shape ahead of the festival tournament.After some spectacular and exciting games, host team Keta Sunset Sports defeated their arch rivals Havedzi Mighty Warriors 4-1 in the final. The 4-1 scoreline did not reflect the tight and competitive nature of the final but rather the individual brilliance of Sunset captain Michael Sema who scored his sides four goals. The event was supported by the Member of Parliament for the Keta Constituency Hon. Richard Quashigah and his colleagues Hon. Fiifi Kwetey and Hon Okudzeto Ablakwa. The venue for the finals, Aborigines Beach Resort was made available by the C.E.O Mitch G. Woollams.In a post final interview, the president of GBSA Yaw Ampofo Ankrah assured the media and sports fans who witnessed the event that there will be more beach soccer tournament in Keta in 2016.”This initiative is part of Beach Soccer Ghana’s wider goal of expanding the game to all coastal communities in Ghana”.Special commendation was reserved for the C.E.O of Keta Sunset Sports Ruben Dzidodo and his officials. –Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySportslast_img read more

Dobbs shines, Steelers roll by Panthers 39-24

first_imgPittsburgh Steelers quarterback Joshua Dobbs (5) leaps over Carolina Panthers defensive back Rashaan Gaulden (28) and defensive end Daeshon Hall (94) for a touchdown during the first half of a preseason NFL football game in Pittsburgh, Thursday, Aug. 30, 2018. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic) It’s a reality Dobbs can live with if he has to. Then again, after throwing for a touchdown and running for another in a 39-24 preseason victory over Carolina on Thursday night, Dobbs made a compelling case to stick around — be it in Pittsburgh or elsewhere in the league.“I don’t really get too nervous,” Dobbs said. “I don’t really play that game. I know it’s a stressful time. I’ll just let it play itself out. That’s all I can do. I know it’s not really in my hands. I feel like I’ve played well. Played strong.”Dobbs, fighting for one of the backup jobs behind Ben Roethlisberger, vaulted into the end zone for a 3-yard scoring run to cap Pittsburgh’s first drive. He added a 27-yard strike to Tevin Jones later in the opening quarter and finished 8 of 12 for 151 yards to cap an impressive training camp.“I think it’s night and day from this season to last season,” said Dobbs, a fourth-round pick in 2017. “Just in total command and understanding of the offense and then being able to go out and make plays on the field. Throughout the preseason, I was able to make plays when I was given my opportunity. It shows in my command, I think it shows in my play and in how the offense was able to move up and down the field.”It just might not be enough for Dobbs to stick around.Dobbs, veteran Landry Jones and rookie Mason Rudolph are all vying for a backup spot behind Ben Roethlisberger. Jones, who has played well while filling in for Roethlisberger over the last three seasons, is likely safe. So too is Rudolph, a third-round pick this spring who came on for Dobbs late in the first half on Thursday and threw for a pair of touchdowns of his own.The Steelers (3-1) could keep all four quarterbacks when rosters are trimmed to 53 on Saturday, then perhaps deal one of the backups — Dobbs being the best candidate — to add depth elsewhere.While Dobbs stressed he loves Pittsburgh, he insisted he’s not going to lose sleep trying to figure out the various scenarios.“You have to focus on the task at hand, focus on the process and focus on what you can control and just keep hitting the wall,” Dobbs said. “It will break at some point.”CAROLINA’S QUANDARYThe quarterback math isn’t quite so complicated for the Panthers (3-1). Taylor Heincke and Garrett Gilbert have spent the last six weeks trying to gain some separation in the fight to back up Cam Newton.Heincke started the finale and moved the ball, going 7 of 12 for 68 yards and a 6-yard touchdown to Mose Frazier. Gilbert came on in the second quarter and was 4 of 7 for 23 yards. Rookie Kyle Allen played the entire second half, completing 25 of 35 passes for 250 yards and a score.“I think there are some good things,” Rivera said. “It’s tough when you are not playing with everybody, but we know that going in, it was going to be tough. And we’ll take a look at that and we will evaluate. We’ll come to a conclusion in the next couple days.”SWITZER DEBUTSPittsburgh wide receiver Ryan Switzer capped a frantic 72-hour stretch by returning one punt for 9 yards and averaging 21.5 yards on two kickoff returns. Switzer — acquired from Oakland on Monday to bolster the Steelers’ return game — also saw a handful of snaps at receiver but was not targeted.INJURIESPanthers: RB Elijah Hood (lower body) was hurt on the opening kickoff and did not return.Steelers: S Malik Golden (knee) was carted off the field in the fourth quarter. Golden was also hurt in the 2017 preseason finale against Carolina. WR Damoun Patterson (turf toe), LB Keith Kelsey (pectoral) and LB Olasunkanmi Adeniyi (hamstring) also left with injuries.ANTHEMThere were no protests by players on either team during the national anthem.UP NEXTPanthers: Welcome Dallas to Bank of America Stadium for the season opener on Sept. 9.Steelers: Open at Cleveland for the second straight season when they visit the Browns on Sept. 9.___More AP NFL: https://apnews.com/tag/NFL and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL PITTSBURGH (AP) — Josh Dobbs has never been cut from a team in his life, no matter the sport. The Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback understands the streak is in jeopardy due to the indelicate politics that come with putting together an NFL roster.last_img read more

AVB fights to keep job – report

first_imgThe Daily Mail suggest Andre Villas-Boas is battling to keep his job as Chelsea manager.Club owner Roman Abramovich was at the Blues’ training ground on Saturday and Villas-Boas is understood to be ‘shaken’ by the visit, the paper says.Villas-Boas: ‘Shaken’It is claimed Abramovich spent half an hour with Villas-Boas demanding to know his tactics for the following day’s game against Manchester United, and spent the same amount of time in the dressing room speaking to the players after Sunday’s 3-3 draw.Meanwhile, England boss Fabio Capello’s public statement that he disagreed with the FA’s decision to strip John Terry of the captaincy dominates the news.The Daily Telegraph say Capello has put his future on the line with his show of support for the Chelsea defender.Mark Hughes may speak to Joey Barton about the player’s recent Twitter posts regarding Terry’s court case. (Related story: QPR boss may speak to Barton over tweets)And the Daily Mirror say Hughes could ban Barton from using Twitter altogether.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

a month agoNapoli coach Ancelotti: Liverpool have grown since winning Champions League

first_imgNapoli coach Ancelotti: Liverpool have grown since winning Champions Leagueby Carlos Volcanoa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveNapoli coach Carlo Ancelotti believes Champions League opponents Liverpool are stronger than last season.The Azzurri host the European champions this week.“Liverpool have grown because last season gave them so much awareness,” Ancelotti said at a Press conference.“On the other hand, we’ve also grown because we’ve added more quality to their squad.“It’ll be a hard-fought match as we’ll be facing the best team in Europe. We hope to get the same result as last season.“As for formation, we mustn’t distort our identity and idea. We must take inspiration from the good things we’ve done and the problems we’ve been faced with.“We defended very well against them last season, and the defensive aspect is very important in games like these.“I expect a team capable of defending when necessary, attacking when the opportunity arises and keeping the ball when needed. We’ll need the perfect game.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

a month agoBurnley boss Dyche delighted with manner of goals for victory over Norwich

first_imgBurnley boss Dyche delighted with manner of goals for victory over Norwichby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveBurnley boss Sean Dyche was delighted with the manner of their goals for victory over Norwich City.The Clarets boss celebrated becoming the fourth longest serving manager in the club’s history with three deserved points, thanks to Chris Wood’s early brace.Wood struck twice in the 10th and 14th minutes, first with a near post header from a perfect Ashley Westwood corner and then with a smart near post flick to get on the end of Dwight McNeil’s delicious cross.“For the set piece I was pleased with my staff because there are certain things they work on and they deserve a lot of credit for that,” explained Dyche.“For the second, we know what a good young player Dwight is. He keeps developing all the time and he’s got great feet and pulls a lovely ball back.“Woody is on the spot and it’s a great bit of movement and a good finish because they are not easy.My only gripe was that we didn’t capitalise on so many counter-attacks in the second half, but they’ve shown me enough, yet again, that we are a force when we get things right.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

AFN wants say in scope of MMIW inquiry BC regional chief

first_imgCara McKenna APTN National NewsThe Assembly of First Nations says it should be involved in developing the scope of the upcoming inquiry into missing and murdered Indigenous women and up until Thursday the Trudeau government has been shutting them out.British Columbia Regional Chief Shane Gottfriedson said the AFN was not consulted at all about the national inquiry’s draft terms of reference, published by APTN Tuesday, nor was it involved in any other details including choosing commissioners.‎Gottfriedson leads the AFN’s portfolio on missing and murdered Indigenous women and went public with his concerns Thursday.Soon after he says he got a call from the federal government to arrange a sit-down meeting between AFN representatives and senior federal officials including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s chief of staff.“It’s a huge oversight,” Gottfriedson said in an interview.“If they’re talking about a nation-to-nation and new relationship with First Nations, there should be input from native organizations. It’s not so much that we’ve been left out, but everybody’s been left in the dark.”Gottfriedson said the meeting is in the planning stages right now but he is trying to involve the AFN women’s council and plans to push the government to ensure inquiry commissioners have power to fully examine police.“We want to make sure the terms of reference are solid enough. … The intent is really about working openly and transparently. It’s really about our families,” he said.The federal government has said it’s “very close” to announcing the inquiry, which has faced delays.last_img read more

Different perspectives Trudeau adamant pipeline to BC will be built

first_imgAsked if Notley’s move will spur the federal government to get more aggressive on the project, Trudeau repeated that the pipeline will be built.“What I have been very clear about is that this project is in the national interest and it will get built,” he said in Regina. “The role of the federal government is to watch out and ensure that the national interest is always protected and promoted. That is what I will continue to do. We will continue to ensure that we are protecting the environment while growing the economy and working across the country to ensure the projects that are in the national interest – like the Kinder Morgan pipeline – move forward.”Notley said Thursday that Alberta’s key focus is to get people’s attention about what is at stake. She said the pipeline is economically vital to the province and to the rest of Canada, and the country is already forgoing thousands of jobs and millions of dollars in lost revenue due to pipeline bottlenecks.The Trudeau government approved the Kinder Morgan project in 2016, but the pipeline has since faced permit fights and challenges from the B.C. government. The $7.9-billion expansion would triple the amount of Alberta crude going from Edmonton to the port in Burnaby. REGINA, S.K. — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the dispute between B.C. and Alberta over the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion isn’t the first time provinces have disagreed on a project.Trudeau says there have been many times where provinces have taken what he calls “different perspectives” on a proposal. He says it’s important that the federal government show leadership to make sure the national interest is served.Alberta Premier Rachel Notley is threatening to expand a fight with B.C. over Kinder Morgan’s pipeline by reducing the amount of oil her province ships. The pipeline dispute began earlier this year when B.C. said it would not allow increased bitumen shipments until it could do more research on pipeline safety and spill response.last_img read more

Close